Monday, October 20, 2008

Longer than expected

For the past few weeks in the dining hall, there has been an increasing number of times where the line was backed up due to the ID scanning machine not functioning. Students have to resort to handing their ID over so their names and ID numbers would be written down on a piece of paper. When it happened once, I brushed it off, but I've noticed that the manual system has been occurring with inexplicable frequency. I wonder what is going on? Is it something Chartwell's is "trying" out similar to "Trayless Tuesdays"? Or is it just on some days, the machines are just not working? I understand if it happens once in a while, but I think it's happening too frequently for that to be the reason.

Today around 5:15 PM, I had to manuever my way through a long line of students waiting to show their IDs and get something to eat. While the first half hour or so of dinnertime (which starts at 5 PM) is a busy time and long lines are expected, I'm pretty sure the delay was also attributed to the ID scanning machine being down. I didn't check for sure if the machine was down (I didn't eat dinner in the dining hall), but the line wasn't moving smoothly as it should have if you only had to scan your card and go. Not to mention at lunch today, I had to give my card so my name and ID number could be written down. So it's not too farfetched to assume that at dinnertime, the situation would be the same.

I'm the type of person who sometimes just wants to get their food and sit down without a long delay. For those who don't have night classes, you're better off going to dinner around 6 PM if you want to eat in the dining hall. Or come down a few minutes before 5 PM. The initial rush is ridiculous on some days, which gives me reason to come down later than usual.

1 comment:

Suzy Herman said...

The longs have been crazy long lately, and I agree that it might be because of the ID issues. Mine hadn't been scanning properly (sorry if I held up the line!). Chartwells told me I needed to get a new one.